Home » Infrastructure » Other Operating Systems » How to make a DOS-based ORACLE database running (DOS)
How to make a DOS-based ORACLE database running [message #656347] Mon, 03 October 2016 13:26 Go to next message
larshgf
Hello ORACLE-people,

I have a friend who about 15 years ago wrote a dictionary for Greek-Danish using a DOS-program called CXMaster (from Compulexis). He know needs the data again and because he had some problems to get the old DOS program running I have tried to help him.

Until now I have copiede the CXMASTER folder (program) and the CXDATA folder (data) from his old computer to my laptop. I am trying to run the CXMASTER from my laptop using a DOS emulator called DOSBOX. When trying to do this the only thing that happens is that I get the main (wellcome) window of CXMaster but without the "log in" possibility (there is only a black rectangular area at the bottom of the screen. So I cant go further because I get a DOS prompt message: "access denied".
However, by looking at an Autoexec.bat file afterwards, I realized that a map called ORACLE6 is needed too. I have yet not tried to copy this map to my laptop because of practical reasons but my hope is that a connection to the ORACLE6 map will make a proper "log in" possible.

In connextion to these problems my dream scenario would be answers to a few questions:

1) Do you think it will be possible to run CXMaster in DOS in a) DOSBOX (or Virtual Box) or b) on my friends original PC (in that case it has to be fixed)? Of course the main program (CXMASTER), the CXDATA folder and the ORACLE6 folder must be on the same harddisk.

2) [in case it is not possible to access data in a DOS based system] Would it be possible (using some kind of Database tool) to get access to the dictionary data from these files in the CXDATA map without using the CXMaster.......?

[The files in the CXDATA folder (in brackets I have written what I think these files do)
CXAUX001.ORA - Configuration tables
CXDTGA10.ORA (data-files) - Configuration tables
CXDTGB10.ORA (data-files) - Configuration tables
CXHIST10.ORA (historic - log)
CXHIST11.ORA (historic - log)
CXHIST12.ORA (historic - log)
CXROLL01.ORA (?) - Oracle transaction rollback data file
CXSMLL10.ORA (?) - CX primary data table CXSMLL11.ORA (?) - ditto (Oracle expansion file)
CXSMLL12.ORA (?) - ditto (Oracle expansion file)
CXSYS001.ORA (different systemdata, for instance felt-definitions, texts in CXMaster etc)
CXWORK01.ORA (?) - temporary working area
DBS1.ORA (as far as I can see text that could be SQL-code)
DBS2.ORA (as far as I can see text that could be SQL-code)
MOVEDATA.SQL

3) Do you have any advice for me concerning this problem?
4) If I am not able to solve this do you know where I can find profesional help and how much this will cost me?

I hope very much to hear from somebody here on this forum. I have no professionel connection to (or financial interest in) this situation. I am facinated by the greek language. For many years I have been a happy amateur making small programs in the Delphi language mainly for personal use. Unfortunately my experience with databases is insuficient, and I have not worked with Oracle at all. I hope very much somebody out there can help me with som advice / answers so I can be able to restore the hard work (a complete dictionary!) made by my friend for about 15 years ago.

Kind Regards
Lars Frederiksen
DENMARK
Re: How to make a DOS-based ORACLE database running [message #656348 is a reply to message #656347] Mon, 03 October 2016 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
I have approved your post, but really, I do not know if I should. Does your question have anything to do with Oracle? If so, what?
Re: How to make a DOS-based ORACLE database running [message #656349 is a reply to message #656348] Mon, 03 October 2016 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
larshgf
It is a question regarding an ORACLE database on an old DOS machine. I need some experienced people to give me some advice on how to get this ORACLE based program running again. Is there something that I shall be aware of? Any special advice concerning ORACLE databases in DOS.
It might seem to you a little premature to ask now when I eeven have not tried to get over the ORACLE folder to my laptop. But practical reasons does not make this possible until next week. Because of long distance travel I would like to be ready for the situation with som advice from your forum.
Hope that this explains my problem.
Re: How to make a DOS-based ORACLE database running [message #656355 is a reply to message #656349] Mon, 03 October 2016 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Oracle6? Whoa, that's old.

The first Oracle I ever saw was version 5; I had an opportunity to "work" with Oracle 6 for 2 months (or so), but the first "real" version I worked on was Oracle 7. I think I have the "Personal Oracle" CD somewhere, but I can't remember which version it really was. Why am I saying that? Because I believe that you'd have to install Oracle database, version 6, on your computer. I don't know whether you can acquire that version at all. Perhaps you could ask Oracle corp. (if I were them, I'd be happy to give it to you. Knowing how old it is, I'd consider it abandonware (not really, but close to it)).

However, even if you manage to get it, I'm not sure it'll work in DOSBOX (regarding required memory etc.). VirtualBox? Perhaps, if you put pure DOS onto it. I think I have DOS 5.0 somewhere on floppy disks but I don't have a floppy disk drive any more; Google says it can be downloaded (is it legal? No idea).

Imagine you install DOS and put Oracle onto it. What then? As data is stored into tables, you could - as the simplest option - spool data into TXT files and load it somewhere else; Oracle Application Express could even create an "application" based on those files (true, there wouldn't be any relations between tables, but I suppose that the dictionary you talk about can't be that complex ...). Why spool? Because I guess that export/import wouldn't work; I don't feel like investigating compatibility matrix for Oracle databases, but I don't think that you could import Oracle 6 export into any modern Oracle database just like that.

Anyway, looks like an interesting task to do, with uncertain outcome. Best of luck!
Re: How to make a DOS-based ORACLE database running [message #656359 is a reply to message #656355] Mon, 03 October 2016 17:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
larshgf
Thank you for your answer Littlefoot!

I will try if I can get the CX-master program started because then I have the possibility to export the data to a text file. After that I can make a program (in Delphi) that can handle the data.

So this is my ultimative goal: somehow get the dictionary data converted to a textfile.

If the first plan (exporting data from CX-master program) fails then I wonder if it somehow is possible to convert the data files in the CXDATA folder to readable textfiles with some kind of Oracle - tool?

Regards
Lars
Re: How to make a DOS-based ORACLE database running [message #656367 is a reply to message #656359] Tue, 04 October 2016 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
I would think that you have to get the current release 6 system running. I remember that O6 for DOS came on about 50 3.5" diskettes, even if you have them the chance of them all reading correctly is minimal. Just copying the software may not work. What is the state of the current system?
Re: How to make a DOS-based ORACLE database running [message #656368 is a reply to message #656367] Tue, 04 October 2016 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
larshgf
Because the program and database is located on an old PC that does not Work, my first idea was to transfer all necessary programs and files to a new computer and then try to start the program in DOSbox (or Virtual Box).
But given the fact that the ORACLE database is sensitive to "shift of environment" I think the best solution will be to get the old PC repaired and try to get the CX-master program started on the original place.
Thank you for your help so far. I will try to remember to give you the "end of the story". Hopefully it will have a happy ending... Smile

Regards
Lars
Re: How to make a DOS-based ORACLE database running [message #656901 is a reply to message #656368] Fri, 21 October 2016 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
larshgf
Hello Again!

Since I wrote in this thread I have had some time to look at the old DOS computer wehere the program CX-Master and the Oracke6 database is located.
I can get a DOS command window opened in Windows XP it seems to be stable.
The program CX-Master is - I guess - started by activating a batch file named "cxm.bat" and it looks like this....

set config=d:\oracle6\config.ora
set path=%path%;C:\windows\system32\;c:\dos;c:;d:\oracle6\bin;d:\oracle6\pbin
c:
cd cxmaster
cxm
prompt=$P$g

When I run cxm.bat the main display "CS-MASTER - The Complete Dictionary System (1997 Compulexis)"
In a Black rectangular area nothing shows up but when activating a key I get the laconiv message: "Oracle not available - Access denied"

I thought that the CX-Master program would activate the Oracle system and give me a prompt for username and password, but nothing happens. Can I somehow activate Oracle in another way?

Is there any information you need to help me with this problem?

Best Regards
Lars

Re: How to make a DOS-based ORACLE database running [message #656905 is a reply to message #656901] Sat, 22 October 2016 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
O6 came with the sqldba utility, I can't remember if it was a .com or a .exe, but that is probably the tool you need to use to start the database. Try running it, and see what you get.
Re: How to make a DOS-based ORACLE database running [message #656906 is a reply to message #656905] Sat, 22 October 2016 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Here's some help,

http://www.orafaq.com/wiki/SQL*DBA
Re: How to make a DOS-based ORACLE database running [message #656907 is a reply to message #656906] Sat, 22 October 2016 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
larshgf
I found the SQLDBA.EXE and it came with two messages:
- unable to attach to default host
- no interface driver connected - function not performed

Maybee it is because the username and password I was told apparently are incorrect. When I initially run oracle6.exe I was asked for username and pw but they did not match. I have tried a few times and now I get an error when trying to run oracle6.exr Again: PME services are not available.
Hopefully I get the opportunity to try Again after a new start. I will ask for the correct username and pw and try Again.

Thank you so far. I'll be back Smile
Re: How to make a DOS-based ORACLE database running [message #656908 is a reply to message #656907] Sat, 22 October 2016 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
You aren't running this on the PC where the software was installed, are you.
Re: How to make a DOS-based ORACLE database running [message #656909 is a reply to message #656907] Sat, 22 October 2016 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
larshgf

When I initially run oracle6.exe I was asked for username and pw but they did not match
UN/PW combinations that *might* work are "system/manager" and "sys/change_on_install". Try these. If you manage to connect, you might check which users exist in that database. One of them might be the one you need in order to run that application. If you don't know its password, no problem - as a privileged user, you can change it to anything you want using
alter user that_user identified by new_password;
Re: How to make a DOS-based ORACLE database running [message #656911 is a reply to message #656908] Sun, 23 October 2016 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
larshgf
Yes - I am running the oracle on the computer where cx-master and oracle was originally installed.
I will try with different combinations of UN And PW.
Do you know what PME services Are?
Re: How to make a DOS-based ORACLE database running [message #656912 is a reply to message #656911] Sun, 23 October 2016 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Are you sure it is the original machine? You say the application was written fifteen years ago, and that you are using Windows XP. XP was released on 25 October 2001. Well, of course fifteen years is only an estimate, but you also said that it was a DOS program. Certainly the only PC installs I saw of O6 were on on DOS PCs, never Windows XP, or even Windows 95.
Re: How to make a DOS-based ORACLE database running [message #656913 is a reply to message #656912] Sun, 23 October 2016 04:38 Go to previous message
larshgf
The old pc is from about 1997 I guess. It has two harddisks. An old one (10 Gb) with Windows 98,and a newer one (80 gb) with Windows XP. If I start with F8 I can choose DOS in fail secured condition. So I have the Black DOS screen and can act with the usual old DOS commands. My friend (it is his pc and program) has been able to run the cx-master with Oracle on this very pc for sure. But I guess it is about 8 years ago he used it last time.

[Updated on: Sun, 23 October 2016 04:40]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: webutil error
Next Topic: write a script to get that output in excel format for all 2000 servers with each pre check column st
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:20:55 CDT 2024